Our top tips will help you make the most of your adventure holidays and to travel safely and comfortably.
- Aim to keep your passport with you at all times; don't hand it over to strangers. A photocopy kept separately (with a copy of your medical insurance) means numbers and references are easily available for reference and backup.
- Have enough appropriate medical expenses insurance to cover all the activities you're likely to try.
- Pack versatile durable clothing that dries quickly. Light layers made from modern high performance fabrics offer flexible comfortable options that are easy to manage.
- If you're likely to need it, take plenty of insect repellent and sunscreen.
- Pack your own small first aid kit that covers your particular concerns. If you need glasses for reading, pack a spare pair of cheap 'off the shelf' specs as back up.
- Choose luggage that is sensible for your trip - rucksack, travel pack or duffle; each has its advantages depending on how you're travelling. A daysack is really useful for excursions and carrying smaller items.
- Pack a tough, easy to fill water bottle plus your own water purification preference.
- Tourism Concern - www.tourismconcern.org.uk - has details of UK tour operators with clear policies on locals' rights and working conditions.
- Adventure Travel Live is an annual show in London that is a great event for anyone planning an 'off the beaten track' travel adventure - www.adventuretravellive.com.