Here are seven hiking hacks to help you leave no trace when hiking and wild camping this summer.
Know Before You Go
- Be prepared. Take enough food, water and clothes to protect you from the wind rain and the sun.
- Use a map and compass when hiking on the trails, this stops you getting lost and disrupting wildlife.
- When you go on your trip find out as much as you can about the area you will be hiking and camping in.
- If you're taking your pet don't forget a leash and a bag for your pet's waste.
Stick To The Trails
- Whether you're walking or cycling keep to the trails provided to protect trail side plants.
- Don't step on any flowers, plants or small trees. Once damaged they may not grow back.
- Respect private and designated property by staying off it.
- When camping only pitch on existing campsites to avoid damaging wildlife.
- Always remember this: "good campsites are found, not made!"
Throw Away Your Rubbish
- If you carry it there then carry it back! Take your crumbs, peels and cores home with you.
- Use bathrooms and 'outhouses' when possible. If you can't always bury human waste.
- When picking up pet's waste, use a plastic bag and dispose of it properly.
- Don't contaminate the water. Don't put soap, food or human/pet waste into lakes, rivers or streams.
Leave It As You Find It
- Treat plants and wildlife with respect. Hacking, carving or peeling plants may kill them.
- Leave all plants, rocks and wildlife as you find them for other people to enjoy them.
Do You Really Need A Fire
- Use a camp stove for cooking.
- If you want a campfire make sure you have permission from the land owner first.
- Firewood should be bought from a shop or gathered from the ground. Don't cut down trees / branches.
- Burn all the wood into ash and make sure its 100% out before you leave.
- Protect the area around you and use fire rings - preferably ones that are already there.
Keep The Wildlife Wild
- Observe the wildlife with great distance.
- Clean up after yourself, human food is unhealthy for all wildlife.
- Protect the wildlife by storing your waste in secure bags.
Always Share The Trails & Manage your Pets
- Be considerate to other hikers and cyclists when passing on a trail.
- Avoid making loud noises, you will see more of the wildlife that way.
- Keep your pets on their leads.
- Have fun and enjoy the outdoors but don't bother anyone else.
For more information go to the LNT website. We would love to hear what you do to leave 'no trace' when out walking so comment below.