So as I’m sure you are aware there are lots of 3 in 1 jackets out there! You have 3 in 1 jackets with 200 and 100 weight fleeces, 3 in 1 systems with softshell jackets and even 3 in 1 jackets with down jackets inside of them. Because there is a lot of choice in the market today it's no wonder people find it hard choosing the right 3 in 1 for them. So here is a quick Simply Hike guide on what to think about and what to look out for when buying a 3 in 1 jacket.
The first thing you really need to look into is the style of the 3 in 1 jacket, just like when you buy a normal waterproof jacket. There are two key styles when it comes to 3 in 1 jackets:
1. Traditional style: the Berghaus Arctic Gemini is a traditional jacket, long in length and has a very straight cut design to it. This is perfect for overall coverage on general walks, such as coastal walks, or to even just wear when walking your dog.
2. Alpine Style: the perfect example of an Alpine 3 in 1 jacket is The North Face Triclimate jacket range. These 3 in 1 jackets are fitted which gives you better movement and better control of your body temperature. This makes it ideal for hiking up mountains, fast paced hiking and scrambling.
Once you have picked what style of 3 in 1 you are after it's time to look at the different types of mid-layers. The beauty of buying a 3 in 1 jacket is of course the fact that you can take the mid-layer out and wear it by itself or replace it for another one.
With this in mind you need to think about what you would wear by itself. Do you wear fleeces? If so which weight do you wear, 100 or 200? Are you looking for another warmer layer? Which means you could look for a down or synthetic mid-layer. Then you need to think about what other mid-layers zip into the jacket. For instance the Berghaus Gemini can only have Berghaus Prism 200 weight fleece zipped into it. With The North Face Triclimate jackets you can switch between fleeces (both 100 and 200 weight) and insulated mid-layers giving you much better options for the future.
So you have looked at all the 3 in 1 jackets that are on the market but you still haven’t found the right one for you? Luckily brands sell shell jackets with inside zips that you can turn into a 3 in 1. This option means you can pick what type of jacket you want and also you can pick which mid-layer you want. When it comes to looking for a 3 in 1 shell it’s pretty simple just look at the inside of the jacket and if you see a double zip you have a three in one jacket! Here is a couple of examples:
- Mammut Ayako Jacket
- Mammut Kian Jacket
- Berghaus Cornice Jacket
These jackets are a great waterproof jacket but also feature the double zip system so you can zip in a Mammut or Berghaus mid-layer. Buying a 3 in 1 jacket as “separates” is more expensive that just buying an all-in-one 3 in 1 but you do get a jacket that you have chosen yourself throughout from style, mid-layer and the technology that has gone into it!
In a nutshell here are our top tips when looking at 3 in 1 jackets:
- Style: try on different styles of 3 in 1 jackets, also try on different brands because style and fit can differ between them.
- Mid-layer: Firstly you need to think about which type of mid-layer to go for, either a fleece or insulated. Once you have picked one take the mid-layer out and try it on. You need to make sure that the mid-layer fits perfectly on its own and also that it’s something you would wear by itself. If you are planning to leave the mid-layer in then think about the type of walking or hiking you will be wearing it for. You might not want to buy a 3 in 1 jacket with an insulated mid-layer if you are going to wear it walking the dog if it gets a bit chilly because you might get warm too quickly and over heat.
- If you are buying separately then you need to remember to stick with the same brands as a Mammut fleece isn’t meant to fit into a Berghaus or North Face jacket. And lastly make sure you get the right sizes. The 3 in 1 jacket works perfectly when it all matches so if you buy a medium jacket then the mid-layer needs to be a medium too.
We hope this has helped point you in the right direction. We would love to hear what you guys look out for when you are buying a 3 in 1 jacket so just comment below with your thoughts. Don’t forget we have tons of 3 in 1 jackets on our website, to see them click >here<.